The UK Deed Poll Office

Can I change my birth certificate?

A birth certificate is a historical record and as such it cannot be re-issued in a new name. However, only in the following circumstances is it possible to change the name on a birth certificate:

  • You want to change your child's first name within 12 months of birth
  • You want to change your child's surname to that of the father (un-married couples)
  • You have married the father since the birth was registered
  • You have undergone gender re-assignment
  • The birth was registered in Scotland (see Name Change in Scotland for more info)

Please contact us for further advice relating to your specific circumstances.

Share |

Related Pages:

Quick Select


Live Chat

Need Help? Chat Online with The UK Deed Poll Office London Ltd.

Click here to start talking

Contact Us

Tel: 0203 318 0245