Frequently Asked Questions

We have compiled a list of common questions and answers below. If you cannot find the answer to your name change query then you are very welcome to call our office for free and confidential advice on: 020 3318 0245 (Monday – Friday 10am – 4pm).
Q1. How do I change my name or my child's name?

You can quickly and easily change your name (or your child’s name) by Deed Poll:

Step 1- Apply:
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top of the page and select either the adult, child or replacement application form.
Enter the required information and select how many legal copies you require.
Make a secure payment by credit/debit, PaypPal, or send a cheque/postal order in the post.

Step 2- Execute:
Once we’ve prepared your Deed Poll documentation, it will be sent by First Class post. When it arrives, it must be signed by you in the presence of a witness (this is known as ‘executing’ your Deed Poll). A child Deed Poll must be signed by someone who has Parental Responsibility (legal rights) for the child concerned i.e. the mother or father.

Step 3- Notify:
Send your signed Deed Poll to any company, organisation or Government Department that currently hold your old name on their records. Your records will then be updated into your new name.

It’s very straightforward and we provide comprehensive instructions with your Deed Poll, plus free and confidential advice via live chat, telephone and email.

We recommend that you order extra legal copies because doing so will be speed up the notification process because you will be able to contact multiple companies/organisations at the same time.

Q2. Can I change my child's name (child aged 15 years or under)

Yes, providing you have permission from everyone with parental responsibility, i.e. the mother and or father. If both parents have parental responsibility, but permission cannot be obtained from one of them i.e. because they refuse to consent, or because their whereabouts are unknown, then you have several options open to you; including obtaining a court order to allow the name change to proceed.

In the UK, the mother acquires parental responsibility at the child’s birth, the law relating to the father’s rights varies throughout the UK, please see below:

England and Wales:
The father has parental responsibility if he was married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth. An unmarried father will not have parental responsibility unless he is named on the birth certificate from 1st December 2003 onwards.

Northern Ireland:
The father has parental responsibility if he was married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth. An unmarried father will not have parental responsibility unless he is named on the birth certificate from 15th April 2002 onwards.

The father has parental responsibility if he was married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth, or subsequently married her afterwards. An unmarried father will not have parental responsibility unless he is named on the birth certificate from 4th May 2006 onwards.

If you are still unsure, please contact us.

Q3. What do I do when I receive my Deed Poll?

You need to sign your Deed Poll, once for your old name, and once for your new name. You need to date your Deed Poll on the last paragraph, and have your signature witnessed by a person over the age of 18. (This is known as ‘executing’ your Deed Poll).

A child Deed Poll must be signed by either the mother or father.

The witness must be over 18 and cannot be related to the person named on the Deed Poll or live at the same address. Please note the witness does not need to be a member of a particular profession i.e. a solicitor or doctor. Typically, clients ask a friend, neighbour or work colleague to be their witness.

Q4. What do I do with my Deed Poll once I have signed (executed) it?
You must start using your new name straight away, and you must contact any company or organisation that has your old name on record to let them know of your new name.
Q5. Will it be accepted by HM Passport Office?
Yes, absolutely, we’re one of the two main issuers of Deed Poll documentation in the UK, so we can guarantee that your Deed Poll will be universally accepted by all UK Government Departments, companies and organisations, including HM Passport Office, DVLA, HMRC etc. This means that you will be able to change your official documents, like your passport and driving licence, and amend your National Insurance record, bank account and other records.
Q6. Do I need a solicitor to sign or witness my Deed Poll?

No, you will not need to visit a local solicitor. Your witness must be over 18 and cannot be related to you or live at the same address. A typical client would ask a friend, neighbour or work colleague to be their witness.

Q7. I've lost my Deed Poll, can I get a copy?
A.) If your Deed Poll was issued by us then all we need is the nine digit document serial number, which is printed on either the bottom or the top right hand corner of your Deed Poll. Duplicate originals (legal copies) can be ordered via our Client Support System.
B.) If your Deed Poll was issued by another agency or a local solicitor, and you’re unable to obtain a copy from them, then you will need to apply for a replacement Deed Poll.

To obtain a replacement, please complete our Replacement Deed Poll Application Form.

Please note, Deed Polls are not stored on a central record, nor is information shared between agencies.

Q8. What payment methods do you accept?

We accept payment by credit/debit card: Visa, Mastercard, Visa Debit, and PayPal.

All card payments are processed securely by PayPal, the UK’s leading payment processing company.

You can also send a cheque or postal order to the address on our contact page, made payable to: ‘The UK Deed Poll Office’.

Q9. How long will my Deed Poll take to arrive?
Your paperwork will be sent using First Class post in a plain A4 board backed envelope (same day processing for applications received before 4pm weekdays). You should expect it to arrive within approximately four working days.
Q10. Are there any additional costs?
No, there are no hidden charges. All of the prices displayed on our website include VAT at 20%.
Q11. Can I read reviews of your service?

Yes, certainly, please click here to read what some of our latest clients have to say about the service we provide.

Q12. Why do I need legal copies?
Ordering legal copies will allow you to notify multiple companies/organisations at the same time. It also means that you will have spares in case one should become lost or damaged. We recommend that you keep one with a trusted friend or relative as a backup. Please note that our legal copies are high quality duplicate originals and not photocopies. You will need to sign, witness and date each one that you order.
Q13. Can I use photocopies of my Deed Poll?
Government Departments and most other organisations will not accept a photocopy of your Deed Poll. It’s advisable to order a number of legal copies, if you have lots of organisations to contact.
Q14. I have a question that is not in this list?

If you have not found the answer to your question in this section then please see our comprehensive Knowledge Base or do not hesitate to contact us on 0203 318 0245. You can also speak to us via live chat and email during office hours.

Q15. What is included in the fee?
You will receive: your stamped legal UK Deed Poll documentation, professionally presented and printed on our official certificate stock (plus any extra legal copies ordered). You will also receive an easy to follow, comprehensive instruction booklet containing detailed information on how to sign your Deed Poll documentation, a handy list of common places to notify, and useful tips to help you inform Government Departments and other organisations that you have changed your name. Plus a covering letter template.

If selected, we will securely store your record on file to make it easy for you to obtain further legal copies of your Deed Poll documentation in the future.

Same day processing (applications received before 4pm weekdays). Additional duplicate originals (legal copies) cost £3.25 – £3.75 per copy inc. VAT.

Q16. Is there a discount for families/multiple names changes?
If you are changing the names of three or more people (i.e. family members) we may be able to arrange a discount, please contact us for more information.
Q17. Do I have to change my name by Deed Poll?
You have the legal right to call yourself by a different name, without following a particular process, providing it is not for fraudulent or deceptive purposes. However, if you want to change your name on important documents such as your passport and driving licence, as well as other records (bank account, NI record etc), you will need to change your name by Deed Poll.
You can change part of your name i.e. forename, middle name or surname, or you may change your entire name. This includes making a spelling alteration or re-arranging existing names

N.B. If you’ve recently entered into a marriage or civil partnership, and just wish to adopt your partner’s surname, then you will not need to change your name by Deed Poll because you can use your marriage/civil partnership certificate as legal evidence of your new surname. However, if you’d prefer not to use your marriage certificate as proof of name change – it could get lost or damaged when sending it to record holders – then you can apply to change your name by Deed Poll and use your Deed Poll certificate instead.

Q18. What kind of paper do you use?

Our official security paper is impossible to replicate using normal office equipment because it includes a number of sophisticated anti-forgery features, including UV ink, secure hologram, embossed red seal and a visible watermark, amongst others. Please see our Services & Fees page for more information.

Q19. Will my Deed Poll be sealed?

Yes, your Deed Poll, and any legal copies ordered, will feature our embossed red seal, which is just one of the many anti-forgery features incorporated into our official security paper. Please see our Services & Fees page for more information.

Q20. Why choose us?
If you want high quality, legal Deed Poll documentation that is guaranteed to be accepted everywhere in the UK, backed with friendly, professional service and excellent value-for-money, then we’re here to help.
Here are 10 good reasons to choose us:

1.) Find us on the Buy With Confidence Trading Standards Approved website (click to verify)
2.) Members of Safebuy and Verisign
3.) Founder member of the Nationwide Deed Poll Association (the official, government registered Trade Association for our industry)
4.) Fellow of the Institute of Paralegals (IoP)
5.) Great value, fast, friendly and professional service
6.) Our legal advice is backed by a £1,000,000 insurance policy to protect our clients’ interests
7.) Over 6,000 independently verified, positive reviews on eKomi, since April 2012
8.) Ten+ years in business. We are trusted by tens of thousands of clients per year
9.) Fully established – registered Data Controller (Z2723405), VAT registered (142 9027 26), registered at Companies House (07502559) and accounts filed
10.) Not just a website, we operate out of a physical office which you’re welcome to visit (advice/coffee free of charge).

Complete an online application today and you could be using your new name in under four working days!

Q21. Is there an official Deed Poll website?
No, there isn’t an official website. All specialist Deed Poll agencies are operated by privately owned companies (including this one). This is because changing your name by Deed Poll is a legal procedure and not a government service. You can go through a reputable online agency like us or most high street law firms. Private sector competition is the reason for the variation in price between agencies
Unfortunately, this isn’t always made entirely clear by some of our competitors (large and small) but we prefer to just be upfront and honest about exactly who we are, where we are based and what we provide. We trust that you will value our approach.

Don’t forget, we’re Trading Standards Approved so you can be assured that we operate in a legal, honest and fair way.

Q22. What is the cost of your service?

The total cost for an adult or child Deed Poll is just £18 including VAT, plus postage. All documents that are applied for online are sent by First Class post. Additional duplicate originals (legal copies) cost £3.25 – £3.75 per copy inc. VAT.

You can also apply by post or visit our office in person, by appointment, please email for further details.

Click here to see what is included.

Q23. What is a Deed Poll?

The term Deed Poll (sometimes mispronounced ‘depoll’ or ‘dpoll’), is the common name used to describe a deed of change of name, the standard legal document used to substantiate a change of name in the UK.
A form of contract, Deed Polls are widely used in the UK to provide legal evidence of a change in name for an adult or a child, and have been used in this way by hundreds of thousands of people over the past 160 years. A Deed Poll commits the person it concerns to:

  • abandon the use of their old name
  • use their new name at all times
  • require all persons to call them by their new name.

Deed Polls are accepted by all UK Government Departments, companies and organisations, so you can change your name on your driving licence, passport, bank account etc.

Q24. Will I receive a new passport automatically?
No, you will need to manually apply for a new passport by filling in a passport application form (available online or through most branches of the Post Office). You will need to send your signed Deed Poll to HM Passport Office to support your passport application. The same applies to your driving licence.
Q25. Is my choice of new name restricted?

We won’t be able to accept your application if it contains:

  • Names that are impossible to pronounce
  • Symbols or numbers
  • Punctuation, other than hyphens and apostrophes
  • A title i.e. Lord, Lady, Doctor you’re not qualified to use
  • Offensive and or racist content

N.B. we impose these restrictions because they are inline with HM Passport Office policy re: names they will permit on a British Passport. Additionally, HM Passport Office will not accept a name which they deem to be frivolous or where they believe the name is not going to be used for all purposes, please bear this in mind when choosing your new name.

Q26. Is there a central Deed Poll register?

No, different agencies/solicitors maintain their own private records. We offer permanent digital archival for £2.95. However, you can choose to have your Deed Poll stored at the National Archives (enrolled). A process that includes the publication of a notice announcing your change of name in the London Gazette. This process is entirely voluntary and unpopular due to the extra costs/steps involved.

Q27. Can I change my educational certificates?
You cannot change the name on your GCSE, A Level, degree or other educational certificates. This is not an issue because your Deed Poll will state your former name, i.e. the name on your educational certificates, as well as your new name.
Q28. Can I change my National Insurance (NI) number?
No, you cannot change your NI number, but you can change the name on your NI record by contacting HMRC.
Q29. Will my credit score be affected?
No, your credit score will not be affected – a change of name is not a change of identity.
Q30. Can I change my title?
Yes, you can change your name and title – simply select your chosen new title in section 2 of our application form.
Q31. Can I travel under my old name?
Your old passport will remain valid until you apply for a new one or it expires, but we do not recommend that you travel with other documents (particularly those relating to your ID i.e. your driving licence) under your new name.
Q32. I'm transgender, will changing my name change my gender marker?
No, changing your name will not enable you to change your gender with government departments or other organisations. To change your gender, you will need to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate. However, you can change your name and title by Deed Poll.
Q33. What is a Statutory Declaration?
A Statutory Declaration is a very similar document to a Deed Poll but with different execution requirements. We would always recommend that you opt for a Deed Poll over a Statutory Declaration, unless you have a specific need for the latter. Typically, a Statutory Declaration would be used to prove a change of name for a deceased relative, or for a pension claim when the original Deed Poll has been lost.

Follow us on social Media

About Us

We're one of the two main Deed Poll providers. Our efficient, guaranteed service is available throughout the UK and tens of thousands of people change their names with us each year.

Contact Us

Phone :


Opening Hours :

Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm