How do I change my name with my employer?

When you change your name by Deed Poll, it is relatively easy to inform your employer but there are a couple of issues to consider.

If you work for a small company then you should be able to speak to your boss directly. For larger companies, you may need to contact your line manager, department manager or HR department; you will need to supply your signed Deed Poll as legal evidence of your new name.

Will the delivery of my wages be affected?
This depends on how you get paid, if you get paid by bank transfer (BACS) then changing your name will not be a problem because your bank account number and sort code will not change. However, if you get paid by cheque then you must make sure you change the name on your bank account to ensure you can deposit cheques in your new name.

Can I use my old name for work purposes?
Yes, it is OK to use your old name for work purposes (employee/client relationships), however, you must still inform your employer of your new legal name for HR and payroll purposes. Your old name may only be used when acting on behalf of your employer in connection with the company’s clients.

Related Pages

Follow us on social Media

About Us

We're one of the two main Deed Poll providers. Our efficient, guaranteed service is available throughout the UK and tens of thousands of people change their names with us each year.

Contact Us

Phone :


Opening Hours :

Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm