Changing Your Name

If you want to use a name on your passport that is different to the name on either your birth certificate or your current passport then you will need to send additional documents with your passport application. The reason for your change in name will dictate which document you need to send. If you have an existing passport, HM Passport Office will credit up to nine months of the remaining time to your new passport.

Acceptable Name Change Document:

The below is from HM Passport Office’s official policy on Names and Changes of Name, which states the following list of acceptable documents:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Civil Partnership certificate
  • Gender Recognition certificate
  • Enrolled deed poll
  • Unenrolled deed poll/Change of name deed
  • Adoption order/certificate (these will not normally be provided as a change of name evidence)
  • Certificate from the Court of the Lord Lyon of Scotland
  • Act of Parliament
  • Certificate of Naturalisation/Registration
  • Statutory Declaration / Affidavit
  • Baptismal/Confirmation certificate (for Christian names only)
  • Birth Certificate (upon re-registration)

From this list, we issue “Unenrolled deed poll/Change of name deeds”, which is the document you will need if you’re changing name outside of marriage, civil partnership or registered gender change. You will need to apply online for a deed poll before you submit your passport application.

How to Apply for a Passport

Once you have the necessary name change document in place, you can submit your passport application. There are three ways to apply:

  • Online (see
  • By Post
  • Through a branch of the Post Office that offers the Passport Check and Send Service

If you opt to apply by post, you can obtain a passport application form directly from HMPO or a branch of the Post Office.

Fees and Service Types

It costs from £75.50 for a standard adult passport, and child passports are available from £49. The total cost will depend on the type of passport you apply for and the service you select. HM Passport Office offer a number of services with the shortest being a same day application. Processing for applications made by post can take between one to six weeks.

What Else to Send

In addition to a signed, completed application form and a document confirming your change of name, you will need to send:

  • Two identical passport photographs
  • Any other document(s) applicable to your application, if in doubt, check with HMPO by calling their advice line (Telephone: 0300 222 0000).

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I have an unexpired visa, is that a problem?
A. Possibly, an unexpired visa in your old passport may become invalid. If in doubt, please check with country’s embassy.
Q. What will happen to my old passport?
A. Your old passport will be cancelled and returned to you with the corner cut-off.

The Next Steps

If you would like to change your name/title by deed poll then please complete our online Adult Application form.

Apply online today for only £18 inc VAT, price includes Web discount.

Follow us on social Media

About Us

We're one of the two main Deed Poll providers. Our efficient, guaranteed service is available throughout the UK and tens of thousands of people change their names with us each year.

Contact Us

Phone :


Opening Hours :

Mon-Fri, 10am-4pm