020 3318 0245 (Mon to Fri 10am to 4pm)

Making the process legAl

See the Video how it works

how to change your name

You have the legal right to call yourself by a different name without following a particular process, providing it is not for fraudulent or deceptive purposes. However, if you want to change your name on important documents such as your passport and driving licence, as well as things like bank accounts and your NI record, then you will need legal evidence of your new name in the form of Deed Poll. Without a Deed Poll you will not be able to change these records (see notes below).

N.B. If you've recently entered into a marriage or civil partnership, and just wish to adopt your partner's surname, then you will not need a Deed Poll because you can your marriage/civil partnership certificate as legal evidence of your new surname.

The actual process of changing your name by Deed Poll is a straightforward, three stage legal procedure. Deed Polls have been used for name change for over 150 years, and in that time hundreds of thousands of people have changed their names by Deed Poll, making it the most recognised way to legally change your name.

Whether you choose to go through a high street law firm, or apply online through a reputable online specialist such as ourselves, the outcome will be the same; a legal UK Deed Poll which will be accepted by all Government Departments, companies and organisations.

© The UK Deed Poll Office London Ltd 2017. Reg #: 7502559. VAT #: 142 9027 26